This project started in 2015 as an Arduino project named ridedata.net with an IMU sensor and an SD card to record the data. Eventually I made an app for it and converted that project to use Bluetooth and combined it with GPS logging from the phone it was connected to.
I worked on that project for a solid year or more before having a few realizations. The first major problem was technical in nature. I hate to bore you with the details but Bluetooth is far from perfect.
The next major realization I had was most people would prefer to just use sensors in their phone - if anything - because it's easier. So I more or less sidelined the original Arduino project and killed the app.
But I knew it wasn't killing the app forever. I shared the project on Reddit and got tons of valuable feedback and knew I'd have to make something far better if the app would ever have a chance gaining any traction.
So I planned for a year and eventually started development on the version you can use today. I remade everything and focused on fixing the issues the first versions had.
The graphics are mostly things I made though I didn't make the icon set. I wanted a different look and feel for the app so it didn't feel like another business application.
I do plan to make another Arduino project to work with it. But I thought focusing on the app first would be a better use of my time.
The next major step for MOTOrift is to polish up the features I've developed so far and keep adding new ones.
I know it sounds vague but I'd rather under promise and over deliver.